Powered By Blogger

Saturday 16 July 2011

Pottermania


Confession- I only got mid-way through the first Harry Potter book (The Philosophers Stone) and I've only ever caught bits of the film. Nothing more.

Whilst I'm hugely respectful of JK Rowling in the achievement of encouraging hundreds of thousands (millions perhaps?) of people to read (not just children; teenagers and adults also) and explore wider literature. In the same way as these Andrew Lloyd-Webber fronted find-a-star reality shows have encouraged people to explore the theatre.

Initially they follow something or someone on the tele for weeks on end, and maybe then interested enough to see the actual performance. Perhaps then they then book-up to see something else in the West End or explore their local theatres and reps (be it panto, musical or play) and it opens new doors & experiences. Whilst Lloyd-Webber makes millions from this, I do believe that he loves the arts and wants it to be open to more than actually attend. If someone discovers something new and that they love, surely everyone wins? It's too easy to be stuffy about it all, and I don't usually miss the opportunity to take the high ground.

When I attended the Glyndebourne opera series in Hanley I did wonder where all the people had come from, they were certainly outside of the normal populous of Stoke-on-Trent. I suppose just as there is a yobbo under-belly so there must also be a well-to-do (both probably out of plain sight?)

I am equally proud that the Harry Potter films are very much a British success; pretty much every respected & renowned performer appears in the film series and because of investment the UK now leads the world in terms of production, staging and cinematic achievements.

Even so this doesn't make me want to dash out and try to read 'em or sit down to wade through the all flicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment