Powered By Blogger

Monday 24 June 2013

Sinusitis




 Feeling proper sorry for myself today. What was initially felt to be hay fever combined with a summer cold has rapidly mutated to something more unpleasant. Up until now I have been managing it with over the counter remedies and treatments, but it has gradually worsened each day over the last week until today when we've had to bring out the heavy artillery and it has been necessary to contact my doctors.

I've lost almost all sense of taste or smell, an advantage some may say, food isn't about flavour currently more about texture. 

My GP has prescribed Doxycycline (100mg), instructed me to take regular analgesia, increase my fluid intake and rest. Subsequently I have called work and told them I won't be in tomorrow.

I'm hoping to be feeling better for my shifts on Thursday and Friday, but I know I couldn't go in as I'm feeling currently. There's not much dignity coughing, sniffling and spluttering over patients and their families, it certainly doesn't provoke much confidence in the care giver if they are also ill.

I felt awful on Saturday, even resorting to giving myself some nasal suction, much to the hilarity of my colleagues. On reflection I'm unsure of the ethics and had visions of being called to account for this at a later date, but desperate times call for desperate measures. And I was desperate. To be honest the ethics are fairly clear; I was full of snot and in great discomfort. It was suction or going home, and we certainly weren't in the position to let a member of staff depart.

Although I am fearful that these two bouts of suction may have consequently exacerbated my subsequent sinusitis?

No comments:

Post a Comment