Powered By Blogger

Sunday 9 June 2013

Iain Banks R.I.P. (16th February 1954 - 9th June 2013)


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks
 
Today marks the sad passing of the writer Ian Banks, his monochrome cover novels pretty much marked the 1990's and beyond for me. 

Despite liking sci fi films and television, I seem to struggle with it in writing. Despite Bank's 'Culture' novels being equally acclaimed in both literary and science fiction circles, they never touched me the way his straight fiction did. 

His later work didn't always grab me, entwined so significantly in my previous marriage perhaps? Even so I look forward to picking up 'The Quarry' next week, which focuses on the terminal illness of it's lead character from cancer. Largely written prior to his own diagnosis and now sadly published posthumously. 

Tonight I'll raise a decent malt in tribute and thanks ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment