Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 14 May 2013

We're all in this together ...



Perhaps one of the best shift skill mixes I've been on for quite a while; two current members of the ward senior team, two very experienced middle grades, two hardworking health care assistants and a fairly recently qualified (but enthusiastic) staff nurse on the mid-shift. 

The ward was certainly calmer than I recall it being on late when we arrived on shift, which boded well for a good night. It can turn very quickly, but on arrival the signs were very positive.

Our Quality nurse has recently returned to the ward following twelve months maternity leave, how she finds much of the ward on her return appears to be most unsatisfactory. I'm sure it is quite a culture shock after a year away, we have adapted and perhaps have become accepting of the ways of working. This doesn't mean that they are correct, far from it, but you have to make the most. Deal with what is thrown at you.

Yet, didn't she make a fuss.

I tried to explain that this is good, this is the best shift I've witnessed for ages, but still she moaned (in the nicest possible way) and redirected even easy admissions to our end 'cause they were swamped.

They weren't, in reality they were having a very good night. Yes they had a few demanding patients, that's not under dispute, but these patients have been just as demanding (more so perhaps?) in the care of significantly less experienced staff. 

Irrespective, I hope the legitimate concerns felt by the staff are communicated to the powers that be and a change occurs? Sadly I'm not sure there is an easy solution.

Personally I just desire some more sympathetic shifts and a sense of understanding. Certainly my dissatisfaction about my night to day shift ratio will be communicated at the next senior team meeting.

On arriving I was greeted by my Manager with ...

"Rupert, doesn't seem like I've seen you for ages!?!"

"I wonder why that is?!?"

I have perhaps laid it in a bit think regarding the implication nights have on my well-being, my home life and the adoption process. I can't feel guilty or dismissive about this, because it is truthful. I hope this will be addressed before it becomes an even greater issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment