Powered By Blogger

Sunday 5 May 2013

Oscar nominated


Although I remain deeply unsure about the whole principle of Staff awards, I was quite chuffed to receive a nomination for 'Greatest Guy'

Throughout I have firmly believed that to reward one is to exclude all others, and that appears to me to be hugely divisive. To reward long service or innovation, or to have a ceremony's that is tongue in cheek would be okay, but sadly this all stinks of favouritism and is in fact more of a popularity contest than an award.

I don't expect to win or for any member of staff from Ward. 216 to win for that matter. Other wards, areas and teams were mobilised fully to vote; whereas we were a bit half hearted. An afterthought or token gesture, so if it's simply a matter of who polled the greatest number of votes it's unlikely we're going to succeed.

Despite everything I was actually annoyed with myself that I was pleased (proud even) to see my name feature on the nomination poster. Any recognition is better than no recognition at all; I should at least receive a certificate.

I certainly didn't intend to attend the awards evening at the Moat House, as I was so uncomfortable with the concept. But it seems important that each team is represented, and on returning home informing Liz of my nomination she also seemed keen. Yes I know I'm a hypocrite!

No comments:

Post a Comment