Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 2 November 2011

HCD Wednesday


Why am I always so direction-less on a Wednesday; is it purely coincidental that it coincides with HCD (Hide from the Cleaner Day)? So I move from Reubens where I sat for approaching an hour, to Costa where I will attempt to hide myself for hopefully about the same?

I shouldn't be wishing my hours, days or time away; time is precious I shouldn't waste it … … … only I'm at a loss as to exactly what I could be doing whilst remaining out. I am equally at a loss as to what I'm going to do later when I'm in.

Life is hard. It's probably important to spend some time just chilling and getting some perspective, which is where you find me now; chilling and gaining perspective.
 Whilst I do rapidly tire of my own company, being off alone is infinitely preferable to being at work. I'm glad that I've avoided having to go to the ward much beyond Tuesday morning and Friday afternoon for JK's retirement tea-part.

I was meant to be off all week but found myself with the prospect of it being necessary to go to the ward to spend time with JK before she finally finishes at the end of the week. Despite my best efforts the essential hand-over of jobs hasn't really happened; there is suppose to be a period when you work in tandem to ensure information and working techniques are passed on. But because of the sheer volume of patient workload and the general shortage of staff when I have been at work they have been unable to release me. On the rare occasions were we have been rostered together she has been reluctant to share, I think her retirement has brought so many conflicting emotions to the surface that as she progresses to the end she just wanted to spend time on the ward, not locked in a tiny cupboard office with yours truly.

There was a block of time appointed, but because she had out standing annual leave and time owing remaining she is to leave before then. She went on a three week cruise, returning to work on Monday, just as I started my block of pre-winter beds holiday. Obviously I saw a fault in all this, hence going into the ward this week to try and gain all the necessary information and wade through mountains of out of date documents. Deep joy.

Thankfully as much as possible was achieved in a long morning and I'm not going to have to spend as much time on the ward as previously thought. I feel I have gleaned as much information as I can and any further sorting can be undertaken when I return next week. Saying that I've still got to go in on Friday for the little party that I've arranged for JK, I'm sure she doesn't want a fuss but after over forty years in the health service it nees to be marked. I think all the marking she could possibly cope with is a party one afternoon?

No comments:

Post a Comment