Powered By Blogger

Thursday 13 October 2011

Laughter is the best medicine ...


If laughter is really the best medicine it explains why the hospitals are all so full. There isn't much happiness, joy or laughter to be found in the current NHS, less if Cameron and his Condemn (Conservative & Liberal Democrat coalition) cronies get their way with their proposed cuts and reforms.

I arrived to a list of woes, which always starts a shift off on the wrong foot irrespective of the time of day.

“MH isn't happy with her off-duty, she's working before her annual leave”

Oh is that right? The off-duty that I've only just started, is in no way complete and illustrates about as much form & accuracy currently as a bucket of poorly set jelly. What could she be unhappy about, the proposed late shift that she'll be working before thirteen days off, for which she is only using four days of annual leave? Surely not!?! I think someone should wind their head in a tad, in case they are viewed as a bit of a stroppy madam who pulls faces, has a tantrum if she doesn't get her own way and holds people to ransom with her puppy dog eyes.

“The fax machine has run out of ink and we can't find a replacement cartridge”

That would be because we don't appear to have a replacement cartridge, I will attempt to order one tonight. And order one (or two) I would have done if after locating the appropriate order book and necessary budget code, I had been able to find the item number for a print roll refill for a Panasonic KX-FP141 fax machine within the NHS Supply Chain Office & Facility Supplies Catalogue. There are many fax printer roll refills, many made by Panasonic but not one that matched either our model machine or the previous roll. Something for the day staff to sort out, which no doubt will provoke yet more chuntering.

Another member of staff wanted to be taken off a night shift towards the end of the month, because with a mandatory study day she was over her hours. Not an unreasonable request I suppose, but one difficult to facilitate so near the date in question. If you can find someone down on their hours and willing to do it then you are welcome to swap, but I think it's fairly unlikely.

I was a little cheesed off that her request came through another member of staff, when she could easily have left a little note or sent me an email. It may also have had a tad more gravitas if she hadn't also entrusted her colleague to tell me that she wouldn't be attending tomorrows study day 'cause her husband had forgotten he was also on a training event and she had no one to look after the twins. I was too fatigued already to point out that I thought the girls were both now in school full time and the study day was from 9am until around 3pm!?! Whilst I'm vaguely sympathetic, I also have to say “... and you're sharing this because???” I can not concern myself with these petty issues, I don't really want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment