Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Cornish Pasties

I finally took the step to purchase a new pair of Cornish Pasties for work. I resent paying a large amount of money for work shoes, which is utterly foolish considering how much time I spend at work & on my feet. I’d think little of spending £70 on a pair of trainers, but wince when forced to pay that for the most sensible of sensible shoes.
I’ve been waiting for my old pair (the most ugly of shoes) to die, but even when standing in Clarks trying to find a suitable replacement style was out-weighed by comfort and practicality. These might actually be worse, at least the others had character, these are utterly bland.
I look a state.
My tunic billows, my trousers are loose and look like sack-cloth; loathed as the NHS is to replace uniforms until they are on their last legs. I  long ago replaced my regular issue trousers ‘cause the NHS cut didn’t suit (poor arse coverage and unequal leg lengths- the mark of quality) and the material rubbed my legs red raw despite numerous washes and soaking in a bucket of Comfort. It’s just as bad for the girls; they are forced to pin and reinforce zips and seams to avoid unnecessarily exposing themselves as their clothes break down & decay from frequeent hot washes
I could of course put in my own uniform requisition without it being questioned, but I would like to crash off a bit more weight first.
Then of course there is the humiliation aspect of gaining a new uniform. Rather than take peoples word for their measurements to staff of the sewing room like to wield the tape & check. That would be bad enough but they also like you to try on a sample to check cut (unflattering), length (too long / too short) and the like. I am probably one of the biggest members of staff within the trust, so they don’t have a ready supply of suitable options, but they try, do they try. On a number of occasions a lilac crop-top has been offered, much too wide and much too short. Last time I stood firm and just said no; you have my measurements and existing uniform. Cope!

No comments:

Post a Comment