Powered By Blogger

Saturday 20 April 2013

Record Store Day

Up at five am, heading out to Music Mania to queue up in order to obtain some of this years exclusive releases. It's perhaps one of my favourite days of the year.

It sounds like lunacy when you tell people you intend to get up exceptionally early to stand in line outside a record shop. The simple truth is that record shops made me and I am tremendously fond of them; so heading out early was hardly a hardship ... ... ... I couldn't sleep 'cause of excitement anyway.

Liz was full of the best intentions on going to sleep; to get up, join me and purchase a few items herself (which she planned up stick up on eBay, make a relative fortune) but when the alarm went off under four hours after returning home from Manchester her intensions had diminished somewhat.

There's a part of me that thinks the RSD concept has got a little out of hand, especially with the hundreds (thousands worldwide) releases that arrive on the shelves in very low numbers, tempting loyal music buyers to part with their hard earned cash. I can't think of a solution or a better way of doing it, these releases create interest and a scrum, but as I say record shops are so important to me I'm willing to go along for the ride.

It is hugely disheartening to see many of the releases appearing on eBay within hours of going on sale, but this is the way of the world I suppose? The pleasure of picking something up you really desire, knowing you got there early enough, you've earned it. 

The events of Music Mania were pretty special, they brought out hot cups of coffee & tea to the queuing punters, followed by the Staffordshire staple oatcakes and then homemade cookies. You didn't get this from HMV, no wonder they went bump?!?

I was ninth in the queue; when doors opened at 8am and I reached the counter I was simply handed with a wink a white plastic bag with 'Rupert' written on it. Which on brief inspection already contained the top ten items on my want list. Consequently I obtained everything I really wanted; there were a few others that I forgo'ed (interesting pressings, soundtracks, etc) because I had reached my allotted budget. Some may come up over the coming months, other may never be seen again. This is life.

Later in the day we (Liz had risen by this point) went to a Record Fair / celebration of Record Store event at a local pub (The Old Brown Jug), we thought it would be a bit of Pop Up Shop, but it turned out to be a bit shit ... a utter damp squibb sadly.

There was a stall selling badges, screen printed t-shirts and the like, Manchester / Madchester heavy and pretty substandard by comparison to others similar. But because the event was so generally poor I gave it more attention than perhaps I normally would. 

My eye was drawn to a little postcard of a poster promoting a Hold Steady gig, looking at it further it corresponded with the New York show that took place the day we landed in America on our honeymoon which I fell upon (but didn't attend) wandering around whilst Liz slept off the journey. Didn't seem to really represent his work, but I told him I liked it, etc.

"I've got a few others that I've done"

Then pulled out a similar reproduction for a Hold Steady / Gaslight Anthem gig, the GLA at Manchester where I first saw them, the GLA / Chuck Ragan gig at the Apollo (famous for Chuck being pronounced mediocre during 'The Boat', obvious lunacy)

Obviously I intended to buy all of 'em, he had a few others which didn't really interest me and as I was paying explaining how important all these events were ... he chirps up (bit embarrassed & dismissive) ... "I've got this!"  ... and hands me a little postcard, turn it over ... the Big Country 30th anniversary Crossing tour.

 Nearly fell over! Everything comes a full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment