Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 24 April 2013


Distressing sight on drive home following dropping Liz off at school. It's always so congested along the A50 heading toward the Britannia roundabout; so I thought I'd turn right heading towards Meir Park and then drop down into Stone the back way.

Heading along as I passed under the Meir tunnel and towards the Meir Park turn-off the traffic suddenly became supremely congested, an ambulance flew passed me swiftly followed by a police car. Assumed it was simply a bit of a bump, a fender-bender, not really news on the A50 during rush hour.

It was only then, looking up that I noticed the man (young, early twenties perhaps?) hanging very precariously from the overpass*. His bike discarded on the walk-way and he'd clambered over; one foot maintained purchase the other dangled as he clung to the barrier. As policeman a few metres away, apparently trying to talk him down (or off more accurately)

Having closed down the traffic passing in both directions the police swiftly redirected the traffic, but for the few minutes I sat there waiting I couldn't help but look on helplessly. Unable to offer help, unable to really understand. To reach that level of utter despair that the only solution is to jump off a bridge onto a major carriageway during rush hour. 

Witnessing this really takes the shine off your day, can't help but wonder about his motives, his back-story and the outcome. I hope the police were able to convince him to move to the other side of the barrier?

I'll admit that it upset me, shook me up more than I'd readily admit. Once clear of the disruption I pulled the car into a lay-by, just to compose myself and put a warning online before continuing my journey. A case of highlighting the potential delays on the road, rather than the reason.

 By the time I had reached Stone I had received a message on Twitter from the Sentinel, and a subsequent conversation with one of their reporters. Can't help feeling that even just recalling the details I was exploiting the chaps misery. 

A few hours later I wonder about the outcome, whatever I do as I waste my morning (Cleaner Wednesday) my mind continues to wander back to him clambering up there (feels more like a case of falling than jumping) His lack of dignity with his grey track suit bottoms falling & his top riding up exposing his back and the crack of his arse. His discarded bicycle. His obvious failing grip. The despair he must have felt. 

Did he regret it once he climbed over? What motivated his decision, did he do it spontaneously or was it long thought out? Did the police talk him down or did he jump?

*Some wag on my Facebook timeline pointed out that he was perhaps upset about the break-up of JLS.

No comments:

Post a Comment