Powered By Blogger

Thursday 1 December 2011

At least we'll know ...


It turns out it's a week for long awaited results. Monday brought the eventual appointment with our GP to discuss issues surrounding our fertility investigations; as predicted EJT appears fine and thankfully I'm low not no. No surprises there, probably associated with issues of prematurity, obesity and heat. So we're now on the path of further options, investigations and possible treatment at Burton*. Well at least we'll know.

Friday (tomorrow) should bring the eventual outcome of the Management of Change process (at this stage at least) and the discovery of whether I have a Band Six post or not, and potentially where I'll be working within the new hospital. Again irrespective of the outcome ... At least we'll know.

To be a Band six in the new hospital is daunting as it's stepping into the unknown, but the period following Jk's retirement should stand me in good stead for whatever is to come. If I am unsuccessful then at least I am afforded two years pay protection; over that period it will act as a buffer so I can reassess my position and consider my options (although the time will pass swiftly I know).

I think all staff who are de-banded will feel hurt, offended, affronted, taken for granted, abused and rather pissed-off. I hope the Trust has taken into consideration the possible knee jerk reactions that could occur when staff receive the news, shock can make people do funny things. Imagine the scenario; you're on a night shift, you're rung at home and told you are to be down graded. You're upset and I would suggest it then becomes highly unlikely that you'll present on the ward later and even if you do your frame of mind wouldn't be the right one to work. I honestly don't know how it'll go, some days I think I'll be fine (whatever that means) and on others I'm less convinced.

Information regarding the process that has took place throughout the week has been rightly almost non-existent, all I've heard is that " ... over all it's as expected but there are a few surprises"

Which actually says nothing and offers very little reassurance. Is it expected that I should get a post (current Deputy Ward Manager, acting up) and it would be a surprise if I didn't OR is it expected that I won't get a post and it would be a surprise if I did? There's no way of knowing or working it out with this roundabout thinking.

All I do know is that the majority of people will be disappointed. Looking at the long list of eighty or so band sixes within our directorate it is hard not to think that I measure highly against some and poorly against others. It's not in my nature to be critical of others and even less so to be overly positive about myself. But I guarantee that after jumping through the hoops of the process it does make people want it more than they perhaps originally though? Certainly true for me.

It maybe nice to have the reduced stress of a working day as a band five, but would I honestly perform at a lower level in correlation with my lower grade? No, clinically I'd work exactly the same, but with less management responsibility. A direct switch with my current job where management stress outweighs clinical stress.

I'll let you know!

* No doubt more will be written about this and the surrounding issues at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment