Powered By Blogger

Saturday 19 November 2011

Politeness



It's hard not to feel sometimes that politeness and courtesy is an outdated concept. Just doing the right thing, holding doors, driving with consideration and the like don't even elicit a pleasant response. Often more as case of F*ck You over Thank You.

I'm most bothered by pedestrian policies and politeness, there just seems like there is no consideration ... probably 'cause there is none?

When I was younger there was almost a hierarchy of age, respect and fear; if someone was older, had a disability or was scarier than you was walking towards you, you moved (YOU got out of the way)

I'm sick of being stared out by young lads; acting all gangster, swinging like a gibbon, sucking their teeth, talking in patwa or street-slang, trousers slung low, hands down the front of their pants.
Look mate you're from Britain not the Bronx!”

I've made a conscious decision to stop moving out of their way, be more measured in my politeness. It's amazing how many will collide, bounce-off and look aghast that someone dares to disrespect them. I have discovered that it is rather difficult to appear hard mid-flight. An insincere “Oooooh mate, I am sorry! Are you alright?” tends to defuse any aggression (that and being significantly bigger than they are)

Maybe one day one will pull a knife or shoot me, then I'll become a martyr to my politeness cause. But I'm not going to stop being polite, irrespective of the response I receive, it has nothing to do with them and absolutely everything to do with me. Why should I stoop to they're level?

No comments:

Post a Comment