Powered By Blogger

Monday 21 November 2011

Goodbye Penkhull

Due to the close proximity of Penkhull to the hospital I sometimes stop in the centre to visit the Co-op or use the postbox pre and post shifts. Little has really changed, it remains very similar to how it was when I first moved there in 1994. I would suggest that it is one of the most unchanged areas of the Potteries. The centre around the village green is almost identical; most businesses have probably been taken over (the sandwich shop, off-licence, beauty salon, The Greyhound pub), but to all intense purposes appear the same. Even the scary chip mascot remains in the window of the Fish & Chip shop, owned by the same family that always have done (since at least the early nineties)

Every so often I deviate from my route for a sense of nostalgia and drive past Todd Terraces (Wadham Street) or through the back streets just to see. Todd Terraces doesn't look any different from the front, only a newly double glazed door. I haven't as yet parked-up to wander down the alley at the back to view any alterations there, but it's only a matter of time. Do the trees remain, have they done anything with the outhouse, have they painted? As it was sold for rental I assume there has been very little change.

When the Royal Infirmary hospital eventually closes and we move down to the City site I will finally bid farewell to Penkhull and will have little cause to pass through.

No comments:

Post a Comment