Powered By Blogger

Sunday 27 November 2011



Felt (and continue to feel) strange about the prospect of taking industrial action on the 30th November. As a nurse it is programmed into us that we just don't strike and I'll admit I'm uncomfortable.

I have polled all staff who are in the Unison union, the majority of which are off on the day in question, only three Unison members are roistered to work. Two Health Care Support Workers and one qualified nurse; yours truly. We have reached the conclusion that we will still work, patient care can not be compromised, but in the event we are without patients (not unlikely at this time of year) we will strike and patient care will not be effected. If we are open then we will work, but leave on time and present at the picket line pre or post shift to show solidarity and raise protest.

They have us over a barrel knowing of our good will.

But protest needs to be made, pensions for public servants need to be preserved. But more that that the powers that be and the government need to be made aware that they can not punish the workers to reward their pals (the bankers and their ilk). It is unreasonable to expect people to work in these high impact jobs until they are virtually seventy, there is no dignity in crawling around on the floor at this age. Let's be honest it appears unlikely that I will reach my three score and ten years, so it is in my best interest to retire early on a reduced pension, but have some quality of retirement even if it's reduced quantity? I also want to ensure adequate provision for EJT both whilst I'm around and also when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment