Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Starts badly ... gets worse.


It's always a sign that a day is potentially hazardous when first thing you do on commencing your ablutions is to pour mouthwash onto your tooth brush (instead of applying tooth paste). This little error illustrates that you may not be quite firing on all cylinders and for the good of all should head back to bed to protect both yourself, loved ones and the general public. It sets the day off at an odd camber; one that you fear the is little chance of repair or recovery from. Once you've made this kind of mistake you wonder what you'll ball's up next?

I've been low this entire week (and much of the last) with thoughts of CV's and re-application. I should be able to rise above it, but it's always there, niggling away at the back of my mind. Even so I haven't been able to devote time to the documents completion. Too easily distracted and everything seems more important and pressing. No doubt once back in work I'll be prompted to make headway, as information will be more readily available. I've forwarded my reference requests and have made copious notes about my experiences, aptitudes, strengths & weakness; but that's about it!

Inview of this and feeling quite isolated in my situation I thought it would be wise to gauge the feelings of some of my colleagues. Not those I work with directly, but others of a similar grade or responsibility within the Trust. Consistently all have reported the same feelings, attitudes and plans (I paraphrase)

I feel badly treated. This has been handled badly. I'm going to complete my documents, but in a fairly half-hearted manner, to ensure that my pay is protected, but I don't get the job. I neither want or expect to get a band six post. I'd quite like a band five, no managerial responsibility, just caring and leaving work at the hospital. The Trust is losing all their good staff and is going to get themselves in a total mess, just look at Stafford. Surely this should have been done sooner?

All of which I completely sympathise with, and to an extent agree, but I don't think you should enter into something with such a negative mindset. When you feel abused or miss-treated it is important that you don't sell your self short or believe the message the organisation appears to be sending out. Important to retain some sense of self-belief & self-worth, and be definant (listen to him!)

But I agree that everyone should receive protected pay; if you have applied successfully and appointed into a post previously it is wrong to reduce someones wage without some sort of compensation. To me a much better idea would have been to encourage people who actually want the posts to apply (not obtain them by default), irrespective of current grade and let others opt-out  gracefully (without the shame of failure or any stigma attached)

The way I see it is that there would be no greater cost implication in doing this and it would guarantee an enthusiastic work force. Which I've mentioned on so many occasions is sadly lacking at present. In the most simple terms how can you be excited about the opening of a new hospital when you can't be sure if you'll even have a job?

I don't trust them at all. There is something afoot obviously; some revelation that will be held back perhaps until after the decision has been made. I fear that the CV's are as much about justifying your previous performance as directing your future working life. You can't be seen to be coasting or not performing fully to your grade or job description

Stupid hospital

No comments:

Post a Comment