Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Shit List


I love it and loath it in equal measure

I love the principle, but I loath the beurocrasy. I often wonder what Aneurin Bevan would think of his 64 year old concept now, and how it had evolved. I imagine he would look on now with his head in his hands saying "No! No! No! That's not what I meant at all!"

The NHS was born out of a long-held ideal that good healthcare should be available to all, regardless of wealth. At its launch it had at its heart three core principles:
1. That it meet the needs of everyone.
2. That it be free at the point of delivery.
3. That it be based on clinical need, not ability to pay.

The problem now surrounds how we define "NEEDS". Need has gone from essntial care and saving lives to cosmetic surgery and fairytale treatments.


It's not a business and it will never make money, at best we should hope it breaks even (that every penny given is spent and can be accounted for).

No comments:

Post a Comment