Powered By Blogger

Friday 26 August 2011

Mushroom Cloud




So JK dropped one of the biggest (if not unexpected) bomb-shells today, she intends to retire in early November and until the opening of the new hospital I will be expected to steady the tiller of the good ol' ship 12b.

Initially I thought I was going to be sick as the waves of nausea & anxiety washed over me.Despite any criticism she remains a very good manager and hers are big shoes to fill; even if I am only stepping into them briefly I will certainly stretch them and crush down the backs.

I never wanted to be a ward manager, in the eighteen years I've been nursing I can not say I have ever worked with a happy, content or truly effective manager, and it is not a role I ever expected to find myself in. Even if it is only for less than six months.

In fact I

I'm excited about the new hospital opening, after such a length period of being involved in the planning it would seem very unjust it miss out in the actual opening so close to the actual date. Please remind me of that statement when I'm hoying boxes and up to my neck in disorganisation & confusion.

Off course they're not going to want to put another manager in for a brief period, and understandably as deputy ward manager I should be able to cope with all things admirably. It exposes a wider anxiety, what will happen to me in the re-organisation? There are going to be a mere five band six posts and currently I would estimate there must be approaching seventy including part timers. The process of whittling down. Well it's beyond whittling, it's lopping off most of the branches, if not chopping down almost the entire forest. But of course they'll retain most of the staff with all their knowledge & experience & enthusiasm but have them working at a lower grade; won't they???

Perhaps they won't, perhaps they're going to turf all these experienced staff onto the streets and have almost entire band five junior staff work force.There are some extremely compliment and skilled band fives, but overall they are junior.Now some time has passed and I've had time to think I feel a little more peaceful, I can only do my best and seek assistance as necessary (it might be awful necessary). I am concerned that I will be uncovered as a bit of a fraud; standing behind JK, picking up the little jobs but letting her carry the majority. But is it more of a case that I have been unable to wrestle most tasks away from her?

I have managed to comfort myself somewhat by the thought that if there are only five post and sixty applicants then there is no shame to be in that pile of fifty-five rejects, to stand shoulder to shoulder with exceptional nurses.

No comments:

Post a Comment