Powered By Blogger

Sunday 5 June 2011

*I despair!*

As a children’s nurse one of the most depressing statements you can hear from a parent is ...
"Ooooh you looked after me when I came to hospital"
It makes me feel so old, I started nursing in Staffordshire in 1994 and qualified in 1997, so have been here seventeen years, but it's still a bit of a shock and I can't help but look aghast. A Mum said it today, and I know I pulled a face
"It's okay I pride myself in being a young mum"
"Well you didn't have him when you were twelve did you???"
I've only had this said to me once by a grand-parent, but no doubt as time passes that will only increase. I cared for a teenager in 1997 who had sustained an injury following a dog bite; she had a baby girl later that year aged 15. Her daughter then also had a child at 15 (2011), another girl who subsiquently came in with a viral illness. Following this pattern it is equally likely that she'll be a great-grandma at 45, a great-great grandma at 60 and a great-great-great grandma at 75.
*I despair!*

No comments:

Post a Comment