Powered By Blogger

Thursday 26 May 2011

I love to sound of squelching brass

Today I witnessed the local private girls school brass band performing under a poorly constructed DIY store gazebo in the pouring rain. Whilst their teachers, governors and parents were waving flags and giving out leaflets; desperately trying to promote their privileged school during this time of recession & cost cutting to the well to do shoppers of Stone (not the childless, middle-income earning, coffee shop dwelling, newspaper reading grumps!)

I don't think they expected such heavy precipitation; but there was something quite cheering about witnessing these drowned uniformed souls soldering on in such inclement conditions, made even more precious when one of the little darlings piped up ...

"Mummy my boater is getting wet ...  and the rain is running down into tuba"

I took sanctuary in Costa, which actually resembles the Costa Creche. All I wanted was a quiet early morning sit down with a fresh coffee and today's newspaper until the rain held off, but I couldn't move for all the off-road buggies, yummy-mummies and roaming toddlers. It's like work only more annoying, don't they know it's my day off? So I supped up and made a swift exit, better wet than irritated.

No comments:

Post a Comment