Powered By Blogger

Monday 11 April 2011

There's lazy and then there's l - a - z - y

The nurse I’m on with seems content to leave me to do everything (here’s one person who certainly isn’t respecting my authority irrespective of the colour of my epaulets!) I had heard some tales (calls to Pakistan (both made & received), texting all night, loathed to do anything, short tempered, goby, militant and generally a bit unpleasant. No wonder they sent her to us?), but it’s always best to make your own judgements rather than be unduly influenced by the opinions of others.
Saying that I think they were largely right- idle wench.
Don’t misunderstand I have nothing against a bit of laziness (especially on nights), but it’s got to appropriate in consideration of the workload of the ward at the time. Bumming around reading magazines and drinking pop at 3am is quite different to taking root at the beginning of the shift and watching dvd’s all night (whilst watching your colleague dart about).
One bonus, the less she does the more I have to and that ensures the shift passes speedily.
I’m not one for confrontation at the best of times, anything for an easy life (especially when I’m on nights) preferring to see how things pan out.
You’d think that during her first few weeks she’d be desperate to make a good impression, but on her first day I came out of the main bay to find her eating a packet of crisps at the nursing station. This seems to have set a president from then on. I only recalled her as a student and thought she was okay (Okay, not really much of a compliment), that was three years ago and people can be very different as they progress from student nurse to staff nurse
I’m fearful that if I do say anything she’ll mud sling or play the race card or the fact she’s pregnant. It’s perfectly acceptable to struggle with nights when you’re pregnant (its perfect acceptable to struggle … even when you’re not pregnant), but if that’s the case admit it, don’t hide behind excuses or take the piss. She is certainly taking the piss.
I am aware that I’m notoriously easy going and consequently often all too easy to take advantage of, but if I’m not impressed (and let’s be honest history shows I am very easily impressed) I look forward to hearing the opinion of the other staff; they are not as tolerant (understatement).

No comments:

Post a Comment